Toronto Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers

Ottawa Slip and Fall Lawyers

When you or a loved one slips and falls, your immediate reaction is typically to seek medical attention, not to assign blame. But what if the slip and fall injury happened on someone else’s property? Is the property owner liable? Possibly. Depending on the circumstances, the property owner’s negligence may have caused your slip and fall. If that’s the case, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses and lost wages. 

Speaking to a lawyer can seem like an intimidating step, but remember that free consultations don’t mean commitment. Speak to a team who can tell you whether or not you have a case. At Auger Hollingsworth, our skilled Toronto slip and fall accident lawyers can help. With many years of experience representing plaintiffs in slip and fall injury cases, you can rely on us to build and present a strong case on your behalf.

Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Toronto 

Slip and fall injuries can occur due to a variety of reasons, but they are most often the result of poorly maintained property. Among the most common causes of Toronto slip and fall injuries are:
  • Cracked, defective, or broken sidewalks or pavement
  • Potholes in parking lots
  • Broken or missing stairs
  • Loose or broken floorboards
  • Cracked tiles
  • Torn carpeting
  • Ripped linoleum
  • Cluttered walking spaces, including blocked or impeded hallways, sidewalks, and pathways
  • Poor lighting
  • Inadequate handrails
  • Icy or snowy sidewalks 
  • Wet or otherwise slippery floors without proper warning
  • Unsafe property design, including failure to abide by building codes 

It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that every aspect of their property is safe and well-maintained. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident caused by a property owner’s failure to maintain their property, you may have a Toronto slip, trip, and fall accident lawsuit due to their negligence.

Common Slip and Fall Injuries in Ontario

Slipping, tripping and falling can seem like a minor accident at first glance. But even a seemingly-simple fall can cause serious injuries. Some of the most common slip and fall injuries include:
  • Broken or fractured bones, including a broken or fractured hip
  • Back and spine injuries
  • Sprains, bruises, tears, and other soft tissue damage
  • Cuts and abrasions
  • Head injuries such as concussions or traumatic brain injury

In addition to being painful, these injuries may require intense and/or lengthy medical care which can become expensive and may require you to take time off from your job for medical appointments. Depending on your slip and fall injury, you may be unable to work until the injury heals. You could even be left unable to drive or to take care of yourself, your children, or your home. 

These are worst case scenarios, of course, but they do happen and are proof that any slip and fall injury may be more than a mere inconvenience. The lost time and wages – as well as additional expenses – can take a serious toll on your life and your finances. 

When to Hire a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer 

If you or someone you love was injured while tripping, slipping, and falling on unsafe property, you should speak to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Working with a lawyer will ensure that you get the compensation you need to full recover from your injuries, as well as help to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions. 

A lawyer can help you by:

  • Negotiating with insurance companies.
  • Providing expertise about deadlines, damages, and additional areas of compensation.
  • Avoiding potential financial loss in court.
  • Identifying areas of additional negligence that may have been missed. 
  • Representing you in court and increasing your chances of winning your claim.

At Auger Hollingsworth, our team puts your comfort and needs first. Our contingency agreements mean you won’t pay anything until we get you a settlement or judgement. We’ll ensure your needs are prioritized and we’ll help you get the compensation you deserve after your accident. Set up a free consultation today to learn how our lawyers can help you after your accident.


Free Consultation with Experienced Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers

Sometimes, slipping, tripping, and falling can seem like not a very big deal, and not worth seeking medical attention and especially not worth calling a lawyer. But sometimes even a seemingly-small falling accident can cause serious injuries. Some can affect your quality of life and ability to work, either in the short term or the long term. Our personal injury lawyers Richard Auger and Brenda Hollingsworth have helped hundreds of clients file their claims, winning millions in compensation on their clients’ behalf.

No matter how you were injured or the circumstances of your accident, it’s very likely that the insurance companies involved will try to pay the smallest amount in compensation they can. That, along with short deadline and confusing regulations can make it difficult for someone to file their own claim and get the compensation they deserve. That’s why it’s important to speak to a slip and fall attorney. They can represent you in court, file your claim, and get the compensation you deserve.

Contact Auger Hollingsworth as soon as possible after a vehicle accident to book your free consultation. We’ll meet with you wherever you’re comfortable, whether that’s in our office, in your own home, or in the hospital where you’re recovering.We put your needs first, and you won’t pay anything unless and until you get a settlement or judgement.

What should you do after a slip and fall accident?

After a slip and fall accident, seeking legal redress will not typically be the first thing on your mind.

Try to follow these steps if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Ontario:

  • Take relevant pictures and video footage at the scene of the accident using your phone: if possible, show the conditions/cause of the accident, e.g., the condition of the stairs, floor, lighting, sidewalk, driveway, parking lot or wherever you fell, and the weather conditions if applicable.
  • Seek an immediate medical examination: either at a hospital (if emergency care is needed), a walk-in clinic or from your doctor. Your injuries must be assessed professionally, treated, and documented as a priority.
  • Follow all medical advice to the letter: if you are advised to stay off work and rest – stay off work and rest!
  • Report the incident to the property owner or manager: whether the accident occurred in a home, business or office, make a report to the property owner or manager and ensure it is acknowledged – get a copy of the report and their contact details.
  • Make notes about what happened: write down everything you can remember while the information is still fresh in your mind. Focus on the time, location, and how your injury occurred.
  • Check security cameras and ask for a copy of the footage: with so many security cameras around now, it is possible that your accident was caught on camera. Check the footage and ask for a copy of it.
  • Speak to witnesses: ask for their names and contact details and check if they have pictures or videos that may be useful for your case.
  • Keep your footwear: you may need to prove what footwear you were wearing so make sure you do not throw it away. Take pictures of it even if it is ruined.
  • Retain any broken property: if you smashed your glasses, phone, watch or any other item, keep it and photograph it as it may be used as evidence.
  • Photograph the progress of your injuries: track and record the progress of injuries as they may worsen.

Many of the above steps can be handled by your slip and fall injury lawyer at Auger Hollingsworth.

It’s best to contact a qualified and experienced lawyer as soon as possible after your accident as this will allow you to focus on recovery while the legal work is done for you.


Proving Liability for Toronto Slip and Fall Injuries

A slip and fall injury can happen to anyone, at any time, in any place, such as:

  • Public sidewalks and walkways
  • Public parking lots
  • Public transportation
  • Grocery stores or other retail establishments
  • Commercial property
  • Apartment complexes
  • Residential homes

Regardless of where a slip and fall injury occurs, property owners and other responsible parties have a duty to identify and correct any potential safety hazards. Proving that a property owner ignored a potential or known safety hazard, and that their inaction directly contributed to your slip and fall injury, is crucial to any strong slip and fall lawsuit.  

While the property owner or manager is typically the main focus of a slip and fall accident claim, there are other individuals whose negligence may have contributed to your accident. Under Ontario’s Negligence Act, any individual whose fault or negligence contributed to your slip and fall incident is considered jointly and separately liable. This means they can also be sued for compensation for your injuries. 

Depending on the circumstances of your slip and fall accident, you may also be found partially responsible under Ontario’s Negligence Act. For instance, if you ignored proper warning signs, barriers, and other cautions and suffered an injury as a result, you may be partly responsible for your own accident. This is known as contributory negligence and could result in a deduction from your settlement.

Frequently Asked Questions about Slip and Fall Accidents

What is the Occupiers’ Liability for Slip and Fall Accidents

Canada’s Occupiers’ Liability laws require the property owner or other person responsible for managing the property to take reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of people on that property. This means displaying “wet floor” or other cautionary signs to warn the public of potential hazards. However, it is important to note that these signs are only partially effective. Simply posting a sign does not mean the property owner or property manager does not bear some negligence under the law. Depending on the full circumstances of your slip and fall accident, you may still have a case. 

When Should I File My Slip and Fall Accident Claim?

If you are injured in a slip and fall accident claim, it is important to note that you have a limited period of time in which you must file your claim. In Ontario, you have two years from the time of your slip and fall incident to file your claim. If you do not bring legal action during this time period, you may not be eligible for compensation. 

What is a slip and fall claim?

A slip and fall claim is made when an individual seeks compensation after suffering an injury from an accident where they slipped (or tripped).

The accident may have occurred on any type of property – residential, public or commercial – and the property owner or occupier may be held liable if found to be negligent.

Property owners have a duty of care to visitors, guests, customers, and so on. If this duty of care is breached, it may create a hazardous situation that can lead to falls and injuries.

How Do I Know if I Have a Slip and Fall Claim?

During these snowy and slippery Toronto winter days, it is common for many of us to lose our balance and maybe suffer a fall. Most of the time such situations don’t involve other individuals or fault of any kind, but on occasion, a fall can be attributed to someone’s action, or inaction. Legally speaking, a slip and fall case is one where an individual is injured after a “slip and fall” which was due to the intent or negligence of another person. An individual who suffers this kind of injury may be entitled to compensation.

A slip and fall can occur on private, public, or commercial property. If you have suffered an injury due to a neighbour’s icy driveway, the parking lot at work, or the pavement outside of a restaurant, it is possible that you have a slip and fall case that can be legally pursued. Commercial property owners in particular have a responsibility to keep their properties safe for the public. If a property owner fails to maintain safe conditions outside his or her establishment, they can be held responsible for compensating those injured due to their negligence. If you think you may have a slip and fall case, the first thing to do is to contact a personal injury lawyer who can help you identify the key aspects of your case and can help you determine if your situation can be legally pursued. Your lawyer will collect evidence, speak to the property owner, and possibly interview witnesses of the event, which will help to strengthen your case.

Walking in Toronto can be a dangerous endeavor during the winter, especially since we can sometimes get rain, snow, hail and extreme temperatures during our winter months. These weather factors can create the ideal conditions for a slip and fall so be careful when you’re out walking your dog, pushing a stroller or meeting friends outside a cafe. In the event that you suffer a slip and fall, think about contacting a lawyer and finding out if you may be entitled to financial compensation.

How long do slip and fall settlements normally take?

If you file a claim against a negligent party for a slip and fall injury, the settlement can take weeks, months or years.

It depends on many factors, such as the extent of your injuries, the difficulties with proving fault, the complexity of the investigations, the size of the potential claim, whether the claim is contested, and so on.

Slip and fall accident victims often find that the insurance company of the at-fault party approaches them early on for a quick settlement. However, this may not be in their best interests.

If this happens to you, don’t sign any paperwork until you have had a personal injury lawyer review the offer. Once you sign the settlement, you will waive your right to legal action.

Allowing an experienced lawyer to handle the communications with the insurance company might not be the quickest option but it is more likely to result in you receiving fair compensation for your injuries.

If you have sustained injuries from a slip and fall accident in Ontario, start by discussing your case during a free case evaluation with a personal injury lawyer at Auger Hollingsworth.

When to File Your Slip and Fall Accident Claim

If you are injured in a slip and fall accident claim, it is important to note that you have a limited period of time in which you must file your claim. In Ontario, you have two years from the time of your slip and fall incident to file your claim. If you do not bring legal action during this time period, you may not be eligible for compensation. 

To determine the claim amount, the amount of your damages and the extent of your injuries will be considered.

 A knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help you negotiate the best settlement or fight for a higher claim amount in court.

What Our Clients Say:

“I had a slip and fall and because the insurance company were dragging their feet I decided to seek out a lawyer to help. I am very happy with my experience. John started my case and now Jordan and Rachel have taken over. Everyone has been very professional, friendly, kind and always quick to respond back to me. My case is still open but so far I am very please with the service I have received. Thank you to Jordan and John for working so hard.”


Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Contact a Reputable Team of Toronto Slip and Fall Lawyers

At the personal injury law firm of Auger Hollingsworth, clients are always our top priority. We have represented plaintiffs in slip and fall cases throughout Toronto and all of Ontario, and we know that every case is unique. We listen to the specifics of your slip and fall accident and then leverage our knowledge and experience to develop an effective legal strategy. We understand that your accident and injuries are painful enough without the stress that a lawsuit can add, so we treat you with the utmost compassion and always have time to answer your questions or address any concerns. Contact us online or give us a call at +1 (613) 233-4529 today to schedule a free, no-commitment assessment of your case by our Toronto slip and fall accident lawyers. 

Helpful info, delivered to you—free!

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter. It’s full of useful info (plus occasional giveaways). You can unsubscribe anytime.