Personal Injury Heroes: Meet your Mental Health Practitioners

After an accident or major injury, your life can be turned upside down. Dramatic changes in activity level, stress, and your ability to perform daily tasks will all take     a toll on your mental health. On your way to recovery, you’ll probably work with different types of mental health practitioners. Here we explain their different roles, and how they will help you reach recovery.


A psychiatrist is a doctor who specializes in mental health. A psychiatrist prescribes treatments based on medical needs such as medication prescriptions for disorders and referrals to other mental health professionals.

Am I covered in Ontario? Treatments from a psychiatrist are covered under OHIP.


A psychologist evaluates, diagnoses, and treats behaviours and mental processes. Psychologists focus on talking through issues and coming up with strategies. The main difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is a psychologist’s focus on behaviour.

Am I covered in Ontario? Psychologists are not covered under OHIP but are covered under accident benefits.


A neuropsychologist studies the brain as it relates to behaviour and mental processes. Brain injuries can have an impact on behaviour. A neuropsychologist focuses on cognitive functioning and the psychological role in recovery.

Am I covered in Ontario? Neuropsychologists are not usually covered under OHIP, but are covered under accident benefits.

Get the free Auger Hollingsworth Minding Mental Health Guide today by signing up for our Recovery Newsletter.

Not getting the resources you require to recover, or have questions about an accident you were in? Contact the team at Auger Hollingsworth for a free, no-obligation consultation at 613-233-4529. 

About the Author: Brenda Hollingsworth

Brenda Hollingsworth co-founded Ottawa’s Auger Hollingsworth in 2005 with her husband Richard Auger. Together, their mission was to create a personal injury law firm for Eastern Ontario that is unrivalled in the province for customer service and legal expertise. Brenda was named an Ottawa Business Journal Forty Under 40 award recipient and took home the Women’s Business Network’s Businesswoman of the Year award in the Professional category. She was also recognized as one of Ottawa Life Magazine’s “Top 50 People in the Capital.” She is often quoted as an expert and has appeared in media outlets such as CTV, The Globe and Mail, National Post, Ottawa Citizen, Sun Media, CBC, Toronto Star, Montreal Gazette, CFRA and many legal publications.

Helpful info, delivered to you—free!

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter. It’s full of useful info (plus occasional giveaways). You can unsubscribe anytime.