OTTAWA PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER – In 2008, the Ontario Provincial Police issued a list of important safety reminders to help drivers avoid car accidents and collisions in Ontario during winter. Please remember to:
- Reduce the speed of your car and drive to the weather and road conditions;
- Leave additional space between vehicles. To avoid rear-ending the car in front, note that stopping distances are at least double on snowy roads, and are even longer in icy conditions;
- Get ready for quickly changing conditions. Blowing snow can instantly reduce visibility in your vehicle, and gusting winds can cause ice to form quickly;
- Keep track of where you are. Monitor intersections as you pass them in case you need to call for help in an emergency;
- Check road and weather conditions.
- Make sure your car headlights work;
- Keep your car’s windshield clean, inside and out;
- Replace your vehicle’s wiper blades, as necessary;
- Replenish your car’s windshield washer fluid;
- Check your car battery;
- Keep your vehicle’s gas tank at least half full;
- Install 4 winter tires on your car;
- Wear winter clothes while driving; and
- Maintain a winter survival kit in your vehicle (blanket, flashlight,candle, cell phone and some food or drinks.)
Auger Hollingsworth urges you to stay safe this winter.
Auger Hollingsworth represents people injured in car accidents in Ottawa, Smith Falls, Brockville, Kingston, Perth, Ontario, Hawksbury, Napanee and many places in between. If you have been injured and want a free case evaluation, contact us at 613 860-4529 or at [email protected].