Ottawa police are looking for a suspect in a hit and run car accident that happened on December 2, 2012 at Wellington and Bay Streets in Centertown. According to the Ottawa Sun the car accident happened at 10:50 pm. when a pedestrian was hit. The pedestrian was taken to hospital.
Witnesses to the Ottawa car pedestrian accident are asked to call the police with any information.
Steps After a Hit and Run Car Accident
If you or a loved one is injured in an accident where the at fault vehicle does not remain at the scene, you may still be able to get compensation for your injuries and assistance with your rehabilitation. Here are some important steps you can take to protect youself after a hit and run car accident:
1) Contact the police–> It is very important that the police attend the scene of the hit and run car accident and document what they see as well as canvass for any witnesses to the accident. In some situations, it is required to have corroborating evident of the hit and run. The police investigation may assist you with this.
2) Tell the story to your medical team–> Make sure the fact of the hit and run car accident makes its way into whatever records are created after your accident, especially the doctor’s records.
3) Notify your own insurance company –> This can get tricky. Let your insurance company know that you have been in ahit and run car accident, even if your vehicle was not involved. This is important for two reasons.
- First, you will be able to apply for accident benefits which provide a no fault medical – rehabilitation benefit to help you with physio and other needs. The accident benefits also offer an income replacement benefit for qualified accident victims.
- Second, believe it or not, in many hit and run situations you get compensation for your injuries in from your own car liability policy.
4) Contact a personal injury lawyer to help you fight for your entitlement to benefits and compensation following the hit and run car accident. Remember the initial consultation is always free.
The Ottawa personal injury lawyer at Auger Hollingsworth can be reached at 613 233-4529.