How Do I Deal with Personal Injury Abroad?

How Do I Deal with Personal Injury Abroad?

With university reading week coming up, and March break just around the corner, we thought it would be a good time to return to a vacation question Brenda received on CTV Ottawa Morning Live.

Question: “I suffered an injury while on vacation in Mexico, and have been getting surgeries ever since. What can I do?”

Answer: When you get hurt abroad things tend to become complicated. First of all, law is designated by jurisdiction so you would need to get in contact with a lawyer from the country you were visiting as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if a Canadian tour group is organizing your trip, then you should contact them to see what insurance options you may have signed up for.

If you get hurt abroad, one of the biggest mistakes is not getting in touch with a lawyer. If you settle before you know the extent of your injuries, then you will not get all of the resources you deserve.

Pro Tip: It’s always easier to plan ahead. Before you ever go on your trip, ask your travel agent or tour group about your insurance options. Where possible, you want to make sure you’re covered in case of any accidents or emergencies.

Learn more by watching Brenda discuss personal injury abroad on CTV Morning Live.

Helpful info, delivered to you—free!

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter. It’s full of useful info (plus occasional giveaways). You can unsubscribe anytime.