Looking for the best tips from a personal injury lawyer in Ottawa? Based on our tremendous success in 2011, we are looking to share our best success strategies for injured people looking for fair compensation.
- Give the best statement that you can to the police. Most personal injury cases in Ottawa do not involve elaborate accident reconstruction reports. In the vast majority of cases, liability (who is responsible for the accident) will be determined by what the witnesses to the accident say to the police and what the drivers involved in the accident say to the police. Make sure your version of events is accurately recorded by the police so that your story becomes part of the police report.
- Get the best evaluation of the damage to your vehicle. Make sure that all of the damage to your car is recorded in writing by the garage, even if everyone knows the car is a write off. If the underside of the vehicle is bent or damaged in a manner that does not show up in photos, get the mechanic to reduce that to writing before the car is sent to the scrap yard.
- Get the best medical treatment possible. Go to the hospital on the date of the accident and tell the doctors about ALL of your symptoms, not just the most severe. Follow up with your family doctor immediately (within days). At each visit, mention all your areas of pain and limitations. Request referals to specialists and for diagnostic tests like an MRI. Don’t wait for the doctor to suggest it.
- Get the best rehab possible. Don’t just assume that the physio or occupational therapist referred by the insurance company is the best or only choice. Shop around for patient-centred rehab providers (not insurance centred providers).
- Hire the best personal injury lawyer for your case. Take advantage of the free consultations offered by most personal injury lawyers to find the best fit for your case.
Looking for more information? Call our office to book a free consultation at 613 233-4529. We would be happy to help you.