So your car has just been hit – what do you do next? Keep these 10 steps in mind once you hear that crunch sound.
- Stay calm: stop your car in a safe place and turn your flashers on. Take a deep breath.
- Don’t apologize: Anything you say can be used against you.
- Contact police: If there are injuries, also ask for an ambulance.
- Get witnesses: witnesses can be very important if the specifics of an accident are disputed.
- Take pictures: If you don’t have a camera with you, keep in mind that most cell phones now have cameras. Take pictures of all sides of the vehicle, close-ups of the damage, people involved including passengers and witnesses, license plates of all vehicles, and the entire accident scene!
- Gather information: Write down information on the other driver and their vehicle. This includes getting their license number, contact number, information on their vehicle and their insurance information.
- Accident details: Draw a quick sketch of how the accident occurred as well as what areas of each vehicle got damaged. Put in as much detail as possible including traffic lights, stop signs, and lanes.
- Get medical attention: Do not delay going to the hospital. Even if you only feel a slight twinge or some soreness, make sure it gets documented.
- Call your insurance provider and apply for your no-fault insurance benefits. Tell them you have been in an accident and request the accident benefits application form.
- Call a personal injury lawyer such as the lawyers at Auger Hollingsworth at 613-233-4529 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We promise to contact you or meet with you within 48 hours, and usually less!
To learn more, watch Brenda Hollingsworth and Richard Auger discuss their new Crash Kit on CTV Ottawa Morning Live.
Want this 10-step guide so you’ll be prepared after an accident? Sign up for our newsletter to receive our Crash Kit for your glove compartment.