Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a serious injury, typically caused by a severe blow to the head. TBI has many different symptoms and can cause a wide variety of problems and disabilities for those affected.
While TBI cannot always be completely cured, and while the recovery process can be long and challenging, there are some important prevention methods that everyone should be aware of.
TBI: Common Causes
Traumatic brain injury can be caused by a wide variety of incidents. Some of the most common causes include the following:
– Car accidents
– Other transportation accidents, including bicycles and motorcycles
– Slips and falls, including falling down stairs, falling out of bed, or slipping in the bath
– Sports-related injuries, particularly involving high-impact sports like football, boxing, or skateboarding
– Work-related injuries, often caused by working with unsafe equipment or on unsafe surfaces
While some incidents of TBI are nearly impossible to prepare for or avoid, there are some basic methods of prevention that can help individuals avoid serious injury.
Here are some simple things everyone can do to help prevent TBI:
– Always wear a seatbelt when riding in a car or other vehicle
– Never drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
– Follow speed limits and take proper precautions while driving
– Make sure that children are properly restrained in a car seat or booster seat while riding in a vehicle
– Always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle
– Always wear a helmet and proper protective equipment when participating in any kind of contact or extreme sports (including activities like skiing or skateboarding)
– Hold onto railings when walking up or down stairways
– Ensure there is adequate lighting when walking up or down stairways
– Do not stand or sit on unsafe or unbalanced surfaces
– Always be aware of your surroundings, and always use common sense
Unfortunately, even if you do everything right, accidents do happen and injuries like TBI cannot always be prevented. If you or someone you know has been affected by a traumatic brain injury as a result of an accident, be sure to contact an injury lawyer, who can help you navigate any complicated legal implications of your situation. A good injury lawyer will help ease some of the stress associated with a complex injury like TBI.
To speak with an Ottawa personal injury lawyer at Auger Hollingsworth, please call us at 1-888-574-4529, email us at [email protected], or use our contact form.